Pages

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Short Story Sunday-#5

Cinderella--Kinda


   Cinderella waited for her turn to try on that glass slipper and prove that she really was the same girl that Prince Charming had danced with at the ball a few nights ago. She hid around the corner and watched one of her bossy stepsisters (Cinderella never learned their names) try it on. Prince Charming hadn't even seen her yet, but she knew that when she did, he would recognize her. This was the second one to go, the first stepsister had tried but couldn't get the slipper over the ball of her foot. The second stepsister sat on a stool brought out by a servant and took the glass slipper in her hand. 
   "I really was the one who danced with you in case you haven't recognized my face yet," she boasted.
   "Please just put it on. I don't have much more time," Charming begged. He was sick of all these women fighting to be his wife. He just wanted to go home and rest or go on a peaceful walk around his palace gardens where no crazy person could get to him. 
   The stepsister lifted her foot and pulled the glass over her toes. Then over the ball of her foot. Then over the middle of her foot. Then over her ankle. Her foot completely fit into the slipper! No! This isn't fair!  Thought Cinderella. Why did I have to go last? I was the one who danced with the prince anyway. 
    Cinderella was distraught. The first sister was jealous. The second sister was relieved that it fit. Prince Charming was delighted! He had finally found the beautiful girl he had danced with. Well, he remembered her to be more beautiful but this was still the girl he had fallen in love with. Right? 
   He took her hand and led her outside to the carriage. The prince kissed her cheek and said, "When we arrive at the palace, we will fit you with a beautiful dress and a diamond crown that sparkles in the sunlight." She smiled and stepped into the carriage.
   Cinderella, the other sister and her stepmother watched from the front step as the carriage was pulled away. The stepmother and sister went back inside, but Cinderella watched it until it vanished from sight. A silent tear slid down her face as she turned to go back inside. She still couldn't believe this. When she entered the house, she was immediately confronted by her stepmother.
   "You were the one who danced with the prince weren't you?" she asked with a menacing tone.  
   Cinderella looked up with wet eyes. "Yes, I did. But how did you know?"
   "Well, I was watching the girls at the ball and I never saw either of them dance with him. I knew you had gone, because when I got home, none of your chores were done. If I hadn't known that, then I would have known by those ugly tears you have. Honey, it's obvious." They looked into each other's eyes before the stepmother said, "Now, go clean yourself up! You have a lunch to make and your sister's clothes to pack for when she moves into the palace." Cinderella looked back at the ground and stumbled off to the bathroom.
   After splashing water on herself, she quickly made a lunch for the uglies and packed her stepsister's clothes in the finest bag she could find (the stepmother had made her use the prettiest bag for the future queen). Then, she ran the bag over to the palace. She had a plan.
   The guards let her through the first gate and the front door. The inside of the palace was even more beautiful then the night of the ball, but she couldn't pay attention to that now. She would have  plenty of time to marvel at the beauty if she became queen instead.
   A man told Cinderella that the queen was in the dining room with Charming. Before she opened the door, she heard the stepsister talking.
   "This food is amazing! Much better than what my stepsister, Cinderella, made for us." At this, Cinderella pushed open the doors. "Cinderella! What are you doing here?" The stepsister said.
   "Sorry to interrupt. I have your clothes from home." The sister took the clothes from Cinderella and gave them to a servant. "I see you have gotten used to being waited on."
   "Yes, it wasn't much of a change since you used to always wait on us." Charming stared at the sister. "Did I say that out loud?"
   "Yes, you most certainly did! I had a feeling you weren't the girl I danced with. You boast about yourself much too often and I remember the girl I danced with telling me that she had to sneak out from her evil stepmother and sisters' house to come to the ball. She said that she was forced to do all of their work. Why, she even pointed out her stepsisters to me! That was you wasn't it?" Cinderella nodded.  He figured it out! He stood from the table and called a servant to bring the slipper. "But I must make sure this is the right girl. I can't be fooled again." Cinderella sat in the chair and the prince slipped the slipper (I wonder why it's called a slipper?) over her foot and around her ankle with ease. It was a little too big. "Of course! It has to be too big because otherwise it wouldn't have fallen off."
   He took her hand and led her into the ball room. "You must dance with me to prove it. When your stepsister danced with me, she kept tripping." They joined hands and danced across the polished floor.
   From there, the prince knew that this was really the same girl. They were married a few weeks later and they lived hap--I won't finish, because I bet you know the ending.




No comments:

Post a Comment