Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Short Story Sunday-#25

I stand at the top of the fortieth floor of an office building, phone in hand. The wind blows my face until my cheek burns. I step towards the edge and glance down. People the size of ants walk on the grey sidewalk and tall green trees wave in the wind. A bird flutters by, making a dog bark and pull its owner along. A bunny hops unseen in the bushes to escape the dog. So much life. They're living the life I could never have. Nobody needs me.
   I loosen my black tie, and take off my suit jacket. Glancing down once more, I don't pay attention to the people or the dogs or the birds. I take a deep breath and lean forwards. Gravity takes over and I feel my feet leave the roof. I start to fall. 
   Everything moves in slow motion. It's as if the whole world has stopped for me. I watch the windows slowly race by. I count the floors and watch the people inside. At the 38th floor, a woman knocks down her large stack of papers. They go flying everywhere. When I reach the 31st floor, a man is watching out the window and takes a double take when I fly past. 
   30, 29, 28. My phone beeps. I realize it's still in my hand. I focus on the screen and read:
Carmen says: Where are you? Dinner's ready and we're eating without you. :)
   Carmen. No. I love her. She'll die without me. What am I doing? 20, 19, 18, 17. 
   I open my mouth to shout for help, but nothing comes out. Help me. Anyone. Help. It's at the tip of my tongue. Please.
   14, 13, 12. No, no. The wind rushes past, making my hair fly. I make contact with the tall trees and break every stick in my path. I somehow miss the branch strong enough to catch me and continue my fall. The world has resumed it's normal speed. People on the street stare at me. A woman screams. 9, 8, 7.
   I look at my phone and type to Carmen.
   I love yo
The ground comes closer and closer. I can imagine it now. My face on the concrete, blood everywhere. People standing around me. An ambulance parked at the curb, people racing from inside it. Sirens, lights. Carmen crying.
   I type the "u". The ground is and arm's length away. My thumb hovers over the send button. Then everything goes black.

There you go. I have this book that gives you things to write about and this was one of them. The book is called 642 Things to Write About


No comments:

Post a Comment