Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Short Story Sunday-#24

The automatic door swings open when I get close enough. With my arms full of packages wrapped in red and green, the automatic door was much needed. My cheeks burn with the dramatic change of temperature. I make my way to the first counter and step in the long line behind a man with a t-shirt saying "Got blood? Give some." I feel like it's kind of a weird thing to say on a shirt.
    My eyes wander to the colorful greeting cards displayed on the wall. I give out a little chuckle at the birthday card of a pug with a party hat and a noise maker.
   "Hank?" A feeble voice says from behind me.
   I look away from the cards and turn around to a woman with short red hair and an armful of Christmas packages.
   She smiles."Hank. It is you. It's so nice to see you. How have you been?"
   We haven't spoken or seen each other for almost 14 years.
   "I'm great. Busy with Christmas stuff and work. How have you been getting on?" I ask.
   "Oh, alright I guess. It's just not the same without you and your father. How has Jamie been?"
   "She's doing fine. She keeps the kids in check."
   "Your kids," she echos. "Marie and George, right?"
   "Yes." I stare out the window. Large fluffy snowflakes fall gracefully and land on the window sill. In the parking lot, people jog to their cars to escape the cold. Children pull their coats tighter while their parent wraps a scarf around their neck.
   "How old is Marie?" My mother asks.
   "She's 14."
   "Goodness. How did that happen so quickly? Last time I saw her she was a little burrito."
   I smile and turn away. The man with the blood shirt steps out of line and I set my packages on the counter with a thump. The woman on the other side sets each box in turn on the scale and sticks a stamp on the corner.
   I walk to the door, and they open for me. I'm about to step out when my mother calls for me.
   "Hank?"
   "Yes?"
   "It was nice to see you again."
   I tell her goodbye and trudge through the snow to my car. When I arrive at my home, I'll wrap another present with my mother's name on it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment