Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Short Story Sunday-#3

Rainy Day


   I swung the door open wildly and raced out, letting the water drip down my face. I loved rain. Rain means life and food and water. Rain is a natural bath for our dirty world. Everything needs to be cleaned once in a while. I wore nothing but a t-shirt and shorts on that wet June day. Not even socks.
   I looked up at the sky and watched the rain fall around me. Once, it was snowing and when I had looked up, the snow looked like ashes against the white sky. 
   I stood below a gray sky. Was the sky crying? Had someone hurt it? Maybe it was happy crying. Maybe it was scared to be hidden behind so many clouds. I know that when I get surrounded by too many, I get scared.
   Whenever it rained, I always used to try to get out right when it started so I would have the whole storm to stand out side. Rain made me feel free and as if no one can bother me. I felt like I was in my own world and nobody else was there. Just me and the scared sky. I loved the feeling of my feet on the cold pavement and wet hair. 
   The sky shivered with thunder. It must have been really scared. When would the clouds leave the poor sky alone? I love rain, but I know the sky doesn't like it. I wished I could have gone up to the sky and told it that it'll be alright. 
   I wished that someone would have done that for me. That day I was surrounded by too many clouds. I cried that day too. The clouds pushed me and I landed at the feet of another. They picked me up and pushed me again. All the while, the only gap between the clouds didn't do anything. She just stood there watching me get pushed around. When they all stopped, the gap walked over to me and told me that she was sorry for not helping me. She never talked to me again. She was the only gap I had, and I never had another.
   After an hour of standing in the rain a light shone down on my face. I glanced up and noticed a gap. So, the sky really did have a gap to save it from the pushy clouds. The crying stopped as well did the shivering. The blue ceiling above me danced happily as the clouds slowly drifted away. I kissed the sky good bye and good luck before turning to the house and stepping in every puddle along the way. 
   My clothes were sopping wet and sticking to my body. I almost slipped on the wood floor with my wet feet. My mom walked over to me and said, "Rosa, why do you always have to get so wet?"  I shrugged. "You're getting the floor wet." She passed me a towel. I took it and rubbed my feet dry, before walking up to my bedroom and sitting on the floor in my wet clothes. I thought about the sky. It was so lucky to have a gap to grow and make the mean old clouds leave. Why did no one do that for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment