Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Short Story Sunday-#20

   Hey! It's me. I know I've missed a few SSS's but I've been so busy these last few weeks of school with exams, final projects and just plain old homework. I have also been working on my second book and the story for the contest. It's hard to handle all these things at once, but now that school is out and the story is almost ready, I'll be as free as a bird.
   I'll be writing stories constantly and I might end up posting more than just SSS. Maybe you'll see a SSM or a SSW and a--yeah, you get the point. So, hold on tight because you'll be seeing more of me soon.
   This week I decided that I really liked the last one I did, so I'm going to do another one where I take the lyrics of a song and create a story from it. SO! Without further ado, I give you--this week's SSS!

Amsterdam

   "Hey, Augustine!" He always hated his name. Augustine was absolutely sure it was a girl's name. "You have visitors. Get over there and talk to them." With stiff legs, Augustine stood and made his way to the cell door. The guard's key clinked in the lock and the heavy metal door slid open. Augustine followed the guard to a small room with a desk and a wall made of glass. He sat in the chair and picked up the phone from the desk. With a deeps breath, he held it to his ear and looked into the face behind the glass.
   "I'm sorry, Mother. I'm sorry I let you down."
   "Are you okay?"
   "Well, these days I'm fine. No, these days I tend to lie."
   "Why would you do this? Augustine. Why?"
   Augustine watched his mother's eyes. Tear began to well up and one slipped down her face.
   "Look where you've landed yourself. You're in jail."
   "Only for a few weeks."
   She put on a painful smile and asked him, "What will you do when you get out?"
   "I'll take the west train, just by the side of Amsterdam, just by my left brain, just by the tin man."
   "Ahhh, the tin man." A famous sculpture by the west train station. Augustine and his siblings used to spend their time their, playing.
   "Excuse me," the guard interrupted, "but your time is up. Next please!" His mother looked shamefully at him once again before setting down the phone and walking away.
   A new face appeared before him.
  "Augustine, I told you this would happen."
  "I'm sorry, brother. I'm sorry let you down. Well, these days your fine, no these day you tend to lie."
  "Hurry up!" The guard had begun to get bored. His lunch had started and he was ready to be done with this.
  "Oliver, listen. When I get out, I need you to do something."
  "Me? You're the one who stole--"
  "Oliver! We're running out of time! Listen. You'll take the west train, just by the side of Amsterdam, just by your left brain, just by the tin man. Bring her with you."
   "Mother?"
   "No, Jul-"
   "Time's up! Get off the phone, now!"
   "Do it, Oliver. Do it for me." With that, Oliver was left speechless while his brother was dragged away by a prison guard. He set down the phone and walked away to meet up with his mother. Why would he want him to bring Julie? Julie hated him now. Ever since he was arrested, she had lost her love for him.
   Oliver did as he was told and three weeks later, he convinced Julie to go on a train ride with him to see an "old friend". 
   "Who is this old friend of yours we're going to see?" she asked when they arrived at the railroad.
   "You'll recognize him when you see him." She sighed and sat next to the tin man. Oliver sat next to her, and they waited for the train in silence. The wind whipped Julie's blond hair over her face, though she payed no mind to it.
   "Augustine gets out today," she whispered.
   Oliver turned to look at her. "Yes, he does." Did she still care for him? Before he could think more of it, the horn of the train rang out and Julie stood up. The train came rambling down the tracks with intense speed and Oliver stood up.
   "Oliver! Is this about Augustine? Is that why we're getting on this train?"
   Oliver looked at her with strong emotion. He couldn't decide if he should tell her. "Yes."
   Julie stepped back two steps. "No! I'm not doing it. It's going too fast. I can't jump on. I don't want to see him. Good bye, Oliver."
   "Julie! Come back. I've seen you do it before, besides he wants to tell you something. Please. He wants to see you."
   As the train raced past, something made Julie stop. Something made her turn around and give the man a chance. Maybe it was something Oliver had said, or maybe she still loved him. Whatever it was, it made her jump into the thirteenth train car with Oliver on her tail.
   Out of the shadows, a dark figure emerged. A kind and sturdy man with sunken eyes and a scraggly beard. Julie clapped her hands to her mouth. Oliver sunk into the corner as the two gravitated toward each other.
   "Julie."
   "No, Augustine. Please, just leave. I don't want to talk."
   "Just give me a chance. Please. I know that you don't love me, but I love you. Give me a chance."
   Julie became quiet and listened to the man.
   "I'm sorry, lover. I'm sorry I bring you down. I kinda thought our love was a mystery and then I thought it wasn't meant to be, so I stole it. When I was being arrested, you said yourself fantastically, 'Congratulations, you are all alone.' I love you, but you didn't seem to love me so I thought it wasn't meant to be."
  "Augustine," Oliver said. "our stop's almost here. Sorry, but you have to wrap it up." 
  He nodded and turned back to Julie. "If you really don't love me, we can end this, but I want you to know something." 
Julie was close to tears by now, but she nodded for him to continue. 
   "Your time for love will come if you wait for it. It's hard, believe me; I've tried, but I kept on falling short. The rain won't fall for the both of us and the sun won't shine on the both of us. Believe me when I say that I wouldn't have it any other way because I don't want you to be stuck with me if you don't feel the way I do."
   "Alright, we're here," said Oliver. "Stay safe, Augustine. Don't get into trouble." Oliver lead Julie to the door.
  "Wait. Augustine, where are you going? Come with us."
  "I can't. I'm going somewhere safe. Away from people and you. Go, now. Remember, your time will come if you wait for it."
   "Julie, we have to go now. Goodbye, Augustine. Good luck."
   "Bye, Augustine."
   "Goodbye. See you soon."
  After one last faithful look back, Julie and Oliver jumped off the train and made their way home. Home to a safe place where they were to build their lives and forget about all that had just happened in these past weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment