Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Short Story Sunday-#14

This story is continued from last week's and if you haven't read that one, then I suggest you read that before reading this one.

Lach finished 7th grade with all As and was having an amazing summer vacation. It was still the first week of summer vacation and he was rarely inside his house. Lach was usually hanging out with his friends at the beach or playing in his front yard. Every time he was at the beach, he always took time to check for the bottle.
   "Hey, Luke! What are you always looking for?" they would ask him.
   "I said, I wanted you to call me Lach, ok? Besides, what I'm looking for is none of your business." Lach didn't want his friends knowing a bout the strange girl he was communicating with. He also didn't want the to think that he was crazy for sending letters to someone by bottle.
   At the end of the day, Lach and his friends returned home. Lach found a package with his name on it on his front step. He never gets packages! He picked it up and unlocked the door.
   It was calm and quiet, so his parents must not be home yet. Lach sat down at his desk and read the front of the box. It was from Spain. Who would be sending him stuff from there? Lach found some scissors and cut open the box to reveal something that made his heart jump both with surprise and happiness. A bottle. He pulled off the cork and tipped the bottle to one side and the note slid out. Lach opened the note. It read:

June 2, 2011
Lach,
This is so exciting! I can't believe that the bottle made it to you and back to me AGAIN! This is so amazing. It's a miracle. It's destiny. It's fate.
   Your last note flattered me. Not many people think I'm pretty. You look very handsome too. I think the way that you're red hair looks in the wind is very interesting. You look very happy in that picture too.
   As you may have seen on the front of the box, I live in Spain, but you were very close. You're probably wondering how I found you. Well, I looked up people with your first and last name that live in your town. t was very easy to find you because you have multiple social media accounts and the photos looked exactly like the photo you sent me! Now you know where I live, so we can send things to each other in a more trustworthy way. Now we don't have to worry about other people finding the bottle before we do. The same thing happened to me when the bottle arrived here. It took a while to convince the girl that the bottle was actually mine.
   I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I do like the name Lach better, and I will call you by that, because you asked me to.
   Your stories sound interesting. Can you send me some? You can enclose one or two with your next note.
   I'm going to ask some questions about you. Do you have a pet? I have one cat, his name is Pants. He looks like he's wearing pants. I didn't come up with the name. What are some things that make you really happy? How do you like your steak cooked? Would you rather be hated by everyone or forgotten? Have you ever been in a fist fight? Have you always lived in Massachusetts?
   I enclosed a photo of Pants being hugged to death by my sister, Lisa.
Your friend,
Hadley

Lach finished reading the lengthy letter and looked at the photo. There was a little girl with the same brown hair, squeezing a limp cat. The cat was white on the top half and black on the bottom and its feet were white also. It really looked like it was wearing pants.

June 10, 2011
Hadley,
Wow, you are a very outgoing and interesting girl and I really love that. Thanks for saying that I look nice. People usually think the opposite of me.
  I can't believe you found me! You're lucky that I am on almost every social media site,
  Honestly, I like my fake name better too. I'm not offended. I also asked all my friends to call me Lach.
  Well, I do have a pet. It's a German Shepard named Ben. He's a lot sweeter than he looks. You're cat does look like its wearing pants! Some things that make me happy are rain, snow, fresh baked bread, the smell after it rains and a whole bunch of other things. I like my steak cooked medium rare and I have never been in a fist fight. I would rather be forgotten, then I could do whatever I wanted but if I was hated, that would ruin my life. I have always lived in the same town my whole life and I love it here, but I would enjoy getting out of the country once and a while. What are your answers to all these questions? Here's some more.
   What are some of your favorite movies? What kind of music do you like? What is your life like? What about yourself makes you most proud? I can't come up with questions as good as yours.
   I enclosed a photo of my house and the story about the kids who get lost.
Sincerely,
Lach

Lach slipped the letter into the bottle and found a new box. He used and old shoe box and taped it closed. Then, with a sharpie, he wrote Hadley's address and rode his bike to the post office.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Alright! I really love this story. Next week will be the last one. Then, I'll start a new story! I am super proud of this story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment