Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Short Story Sunday-#12

   
The Friend in a Bottle
When Luke found the bottle near the shoreline, he felt compelled to read the note which had been tucked inside it. Of course he had seen many many movies where the reader of the note goes on extraordinary adventures, so Luke had high hopes in this note. With great struggle, he managed to pull the cork out of the top and tilted the green bottle to the side, held out his hand where the note fell onto. Luke carefully unrolled the thin crusty paper to reveal five lines of neat writing in black ink and a speckled pebble. The words read:
March 3, 2011

  Dear Reader, I live to the east of the Atlantic Ocean. If you find this and can answer back, please do. The more you answer back, the more I'll tell you about where I live. Make sure to include where you live in case the ocean inaccessible to me. Thank you, I can't wait to be friends.
From, Hadley

P.S. Please accept this pebble as a token of our new-found friendship.

 
Luke was surprised at the way this note had turned out. He was really hoped that it was an adventure waiting for him. Instead, it was some girl looking for a friend. Sarah, his older sister walked over to him and peered over his shoulder at the girl's note.  
"Did you finally get a girlfriend? Who is this?" She asked dully.

 "I don't know who this is. She says her name is Hadley. “I found the note in that bottle." He pointed to the green beer bottle in the sand.   

"Oh, cool! You should totally answer. I have paper at the beach house. You'll have to find your own pen, though."   

"I don't think I'll answer."  

"Why not?" Sarah cried out, "This could be the best opportunity of your life." Luke shrugged. "Think on it. If you don't want to do it, give it to me. I would do it in a heartbeat." Luke shook his head and looked to his sister as she turned on a heel and trekked up the beach to the house. Luke grabbed the bottle, slipped the note inside and holding the pebble tightly, he followed his sister.   
They would be leaving the beach house in two weeks' time, then they would head back to Maine. Luke loved the beaches in South Carolina and he didn't want to leave the heaven of a beach house anytime soon. There was just so much sun here and he loved the feel of the warm water lapping over his toes. He much disliked the freezing cold water of Maine.   
Luke went to bed that night with the girl in his head. Was she pretty? Who is she? In his head, she was. He imagined her with long brown hair and green eyes that sparkled with happiness. She sat at a desk with a calligraphy pen and was scribbling something. Luke kept this imagine in his mind even through his sleep.
The next morning, Luke had made up his mind. He asked Sarah for some paper and found the nicest pen he could. Then, he sat on his bed with a clipboard, thinking. What would he tell this mysterious girl? Should he tell her his real name? After much thought, he started writing.

April 4, 2011
Hadley, I hope this note gets to you safely. The ocean can be very unpredictable. I don't know if it's safe to use my real name so I'll that my name is Lach. My name means "lives by water". I wish it was my real name. I live in Provincetown, Massachusetts but right now, I'm at Myrtle Beach in South Carolina. We'll return to there in two weeks. I would love to be friends with you, but I wish you could tell me where you live, so I can send messages to you in a more reliable way. The pebble you sent me is beautiful. I will keep it forever. I had my doubts about writing back to you, but after a night's thought, I decided to take this chance.
  I can tell you a little about myself. I love to write stories and books and I find world history very interesting. I love dogs and pancakes. What do you love? Do you have any hobbies?
Sincerely, Lach

Luke sat back and admired his work. He was very proud of the name he had made for himself. Lach. How he wished this name was his. Then, he rolled up the paper and slipped it inside the bottle and went to the beach. There, he found some beach grass and slid some into the bottle along with the note. Luke, now known as Lach, replaced the cork and waded some ways into the water.
  He up looked at the blue sky and said, "I hope this message gets to you, Hadley." Then, Lach took a deep breath and began the bottle's journey by tossing the bottle far out into the dark ocean, landing it with a splash.


TO BE CONTINUED...

I'm actually really proud of this story and I'll make sure to resume it next week. Did you like it? I sure did. Although, I kinda want to change the guy's name to something else. It was originally Lach, but then I made Lach be the fake name he used. I think I'll call him Lach for the rest of the story. Any thoughts? I have a feeling that this is going to be a long story...


No comments:

Post a Comment